Friday, September 3, 2010

Book Review: One Hand, Two Hands


“One Hand, Two Hands” is written by well known author Max Lucado for children. The book describes ways little ones use their hands every day, and ways those hands can help others too.
This is a large book, which is nice as the book’s best feature is its illustrations. Gaby Hansen’s illustrations are gorgeous! They are cheery and colorful, sweet and very detailed. My son and I just sat and looked at the pictures on each page for several minutes. It was more fun to make up a little story with the pictures. Each time you read the book, you will find something new in the illustrations you didn’t notice before.
“One Hand, Two Hands” is written in rhyming pattern. I thought some of the lines were odd and threw off the rhythm, like “Pick flowers, they smell sweet. Squish cheese, they smell stinky. Ooey. Pooey. Right down to your pinky.”  The writing is average, you won’t find anything outstanding here.
There is a section at the end of the book listing ways children can use their hands to show kindness, love and to help others. We enjoyed that section better than the story in the book. “My helping hands can… feed my pets. My hands are gentle and kind when I… draw a get-well card for a sick person. My hands show love when I… clap for someone else.” Several examples are listed for each section and again there are sweet illustrations.
There is a book plate page where you can fill in information if you were giving this as a gift.
Overall, I just didn’t feel the story was as impressive as the illustrations.

(Thank you to Thomas Nelson for providing me a copy of this book to read and review. I'm a member of Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze program.)

No comments:

Post a Comment